Mad Magnet and his intrepid sidekick, The Wade-a-nator, are on a comeback tour this summer. They’re busy saving teddy bears, lifting Matchbox cars and flying around the backyard.
But The Wade-a-nator didn’t have a proper cape.
So I unearthed my sewing machine. It doesn’t see the light of day very often. CSS and HTML — piece of cake. Needles and thread — so technical!
I remembered how to thread the machine without looking up the instructions. Things went along really well until the bobbin ran out. Even after finding a diagram online it took me five tries to wind the bobbin correctly.
It came together in the end. (Let’s hope it doesn’t come apart.)
I made patterns for the W and the star in Photoshop. (Finally, something I knew how to do!)
I wasn’t about to attempt applique, so the logo is hot glued. Even that’s a stretch for me. Glue sticks are more my speed.
I used David’s store bought cape for a pattern and just cut around it. But there’s a super simple no-sew cape tutorial over at Jolly Mom with a handy template if you don’t have a cape already.
Yes, it’s a no-sew tutorial, and I sewed mine. I don’t follow instructions very well.
Actually, I didn’t have any 2-sided, non-fraying fabric, so I sewed two pieces of cotton together. Which you can too. Cut two pieces of fabric out using the template and pin them together with the right sides facing each other. Sew together leaving a small hole. Then just turn it right side out.
That reminds me. I forgot to sew up the hole on Wade’s cape.
Now David’s requested a mom-made cape too. He’s almost out-grown the one he has. I told him I’d make his tomorrow. It’s going to require some extra effort since I have to figure out how to make it bigger. Besides, I can only do so much ironing, cutting, pinning, sewing and hot gluing in one day. It’s exhausting!
Here’s the back story on Mad Magnet and The Wade-a-nator…