There’s this post floating around the internet, 20 Things Women Should Stop Wearing After Age 30. As a 39-year-old-woman this post annoys me. It sounds like ageism to me, and since when is everyone over the age of 30 old anyway? I don’t like being told not do something either, and I don’t like the negative, mean-spirited tone. I thought I’d put a positive spin on it and talk about what we elderly ladies over 30 should wear.
1. Bold prints – Wear all the bold prints you want, especially now that you’ve developed your fashion sense enough to know how to wear them.
2. Bare legs – I’m not talking cheeks hanging out. Let’s be tasteful. But your legs remain one of your best assets well after other body parts start to expire.
3. Great shoes – They’ll make your legs look even better, and now you can probably afford a nice pair or two.
4. Mismatched socks – Who has time to find matching socks when they’re on the way out the door to conquer the world? Besides no one can see our mismatched socks inside our awesome knee-high boots.
5. Jeans that fit well – I don’t care what brand they are, or at what store you buy them. Life is too short to wear ill-fitting jeans. If it means shopping at American Eagle with the high school kids, so what? Hey, I’m so old I remember when American Eagle was for old people like me.
7. A good bra – You know, to give support to some of those expiring body parts.
8. Clothes that make you feel good – If you don’t love it and feel attractive, pretty, strong, or however you want to feel, why wear it? You’re old enough to know what you want and go get it.
9. Leather jacket or vegan pleather if you prefer – With all your life experience, you’re finally tough enough to wear a biker jacket and pull it off.10. Unique pieces that fit your personality – You’re also old enough to know who you are. Don’t be afraid to express yourself with your own personal style. It’s time to break away from the pack and stop worrying about what everyone else is wearing.
What do you think about how women over 30 should dress?